To search our directory of workers at HM Factory Gretna either enter any name, place of birth or place of death in the search box or if you know what their job was from select from the drop-down menu.
Isabella MorrisonMunitions Worker
Full name of worker at H.M. Factory Gretna (and any other names they are known by) : Isabella (Bella) Morrrison later Isabella Fraser.
Date and Place of Birth: 22nd May 1897, Linkwood, St. Andrew’s Lhanbryd, near Elgin, Morayshire.
Date and Place of Death: 1st April 1966, Mission, British Columbia, Canada.
- Lived pre-dominantly near Lhanbryd where her family appear to be farmers, crofters and shepherds. In 1911 census appears to be living in the Black Isle.
- Isabella’s Siblings (1911 Census).
-Robert Morrison, 21 – Sheperd.
– James Morrison, 11 – School.
-Alexander Morrison, 8 – School.
-Agnes Morrison, 6 – School.
-Elsie Morrison, 4 – School.
-Elizabeth Morrison, 2.
James Morrison (possibly also known as John Morrison per see 1901 census) and Jessie Morrison.
Father – Farm ?. Mother -M.S. ? – On Isabella’ birth certificate. Married on June 16th 1888.
- In 1901 census James/John Morrison is listed as either a Diary Man or Farm Hand. In 1911 census James/John Morrison and Jessie Morrison are listed as ‘Crofters’.
- On Isabella’s marriage certificate James Morrison is listed as being a ‘Farmer.’
Schools / universities attended and years of attendance:
- Possibly Lhanbryd Primary School.
- Possible attendance at University of Aberdeen. Per see following:
- ‘The Graduation List, Aberdeen Press and Journal, Wednesday 29th March 1916, pg.7,’ Name mentioned under ‘Ordinary Degree’ recipients.
Place of residence at Gretna:
Job title at Gretna: Munitions Worker.
- Married John A.G. Fraser, Dufftown formerly of the Royal Gordon Highlanders and the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1919 before emigrating to Canada in the same year.
- Married on 22nd March 1919 at 2 Commerce Street, Elgin in presence of John Sims, House Painter of 297 High Street, Elgin and Ernest Sim, Iron Moulder 297 High Street, Elgin.
- John Fraser’s parents listed as – Peter Fraser (Carter) and Elsie Fraser.
- Isabella’s occupation is given as ‘Munitions Worker’ and John Fraser’s as ‘Wood Carter’.
- Isabella’s address is given as ‘Morayhill ? Farm, Lhanbryd,’ and John’s address is given as ‘297 High Street, Elgin.’
Children: One known child; Edward. W. Fraser.
Travels: Immigrated to Canada in 1919.