To search our directory of workers at HM Factory Gretna either enter any name, place of birth or place of death in the search box or if you know what their job was from select from the drop-down menu.
Stella Crossley Turner
Information from Stella’s granddaughter on her visit to the museum, August 2021:
- Stella Crossley Turner (Crossley was mother’s maiden name)
- Worked as a button stitcher on soldier’s uniforms
- Born 1897, baptised and married 1924 in Darlington
- Died aged 80 in 1977.
- One of 6 siblings – 2 brothers, 4 sisters. 1 brother joined flying corps.
- However, she was confirmed in All Saints Church, Gretna in 1917–was she working at the factory?
- Grandaughter said that Stella’s periods stopped and she had a large gap between her two children, she was very particular about washing her hands and putting cream on her arms — could this be from her work at the factory?