This clock is being kept in the Museums store, it is a wooden mantelpiece clock made by Smiths in Great Britain. We think it is from around the 1950’s but were not sure. The clock uses a coil system which means when the clock chimes the coil is struck which makes the noise.
Smiths, then called S. Smith and Sons (Motor Accessories) Ltd, entered the domestic clock market and formed a new company, Smiths English Clocks Limited, as the clock and watch division with Cricklewood as its main factory. After this Smiths acquired many other businesses such as English Clock and Watch Manufacturers of Coventry and the Enfield Clock Co. In 1935 Smiths released the synfinity which they described as “the clock that never stops”.